Sunday, March 24, 2013

NLP Anchors: When Disgust Is Useful

I bought some fried chicken yesterday from a local supermarket deli. Got it home, and opened the packaging. Found a chicken wing with battered and fried feathers attached.

Disgusting! Obviously, they were missing the big picture on plucking the chicken before you cook it. If you
look up the word "grotesque" in the dictionary, this chicken wing could be there. I didn't even want to touch the thing, but I had to, to toss it into the garbage can. I'm not eating that!! Ick, and yick!

In my Neuro-Linguistic Programming work with clients "ick and yick" can be extremely useful. People come into my office wanting to end various behaviors which are beyond their conscious control. People want to stop smoking. People want to stop drinking. People come into my office wanting weight loss, which means, behaviorally, eating less to no sweets: cookies, candy, chocolate, brownies, cupcakes, donuts, ice cream, sugary sodas, french fries, potato chips and other carb-laden, junky processed foods that pack poundage on the body. NLP anchoring can help with all of that! "Ick and yick" find a home.

An "anchor" is simply a learned response to a stimulus which has embedded itself in our mind and behaviors. Here's an example! When I was a kid my mom tried to make me eat liver. It's a nightmarish recollection. I hate liver. As an adult, I would never choose to eat liver, because it's horrendously repulsive to me, in looks, taste, smell, in every way invented. My response to the thought of liver is this: "get it away from me! No way in hell is that thing going into my mouth!" Like that chicken wing yesterday.

With NLP we can take this feeling of "get it away from me" - capture it, and attach it to anything, where it's useful to do so. We can attach it to chocolate. To cigarettes. To brownies. We can attach new responses to anything. If you don't like it, you're not going to eat it, or smoke it, or drink it. This process is called "aversion" anchoring. It's another piece of my Neuro-Linguistic Programming client work, and it helps!

On the flip side of abhorrence, I also help clients create good feelings to replace cravings, things like calm, happy, joy, satisfied, healthy. When a person is enticed towards something wonderful while simultaneously moving away from something disgusting, now we have a propulsion system of change. This is NLP. Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Generating new responses that are useful and become automated, or unconscious. It's massively useful in creating new behaviors and achieving personal goals.

As a Neuro-Linguistic Hypnotherapist, I use these same tools for my own success. I've lost a considerable amount of weight. I took that chicken wing, and captured the revulsion, bottled it and applied it to chocolate brownies (my former weakness). I'm not buying or eating any brownies today. None. Not interested. I'm not eating any brownies tomorrow, either. Nor the next day. When will I want brownies? Possibly never. And I'm OK with that.

Neuro-Linguistic Programming. This is called taking control of your life, and it's a good thing!
Find out how to utilizing this amazing methodology for yourself.

As a client: http://www.mindworkshypnosis.net
As a student: http://www.seattlenlptraining.com

Connie Brannan, CHt. & Licensed Trainer of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (tm) offers certification trainings and personalized client NLP sessions in the Seattle area.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Best Buy Coupons